This is the first of 12 Tips for Choosing a Montessori School which can also be downloaded as a free eBook.
Before you can understand how to choose the right Montessori school, you should know exactly what makes a school Montessori. By definition, a Montessori school is a school that follows the teachings of an Italian doctor by the name of Maria Montessori.
Dr. Maria Montessori was strongly devoted to the education of Rome’s underprivileged children. Her philosophies, visionary methods, and insight into how children learn spawned an educational movement which has become popular around the world.
Montessori used observations to better understand the inner nature of a child. Some of these observations, which are incorporated into the teaching philosophies of Montessori schools, include the following:
- A child is a dynamic, curious person that has an inner need to know the world.
- A child comes to know the world through the senses. Experiences that develop and refine the sense are fundamental to learning. The curriculum area of sensorial in the Montessori classroom aids children in the development and refinement of the sense, allowing them to explore and learn.
- A child is auto-educated, meaning they construct knowledge through physically manipulating the environment. Handling of the environment, allows children to construct mental images, laying the foundation for later abstractions.
- A child learns based on personal interest. It is important to give children freedom to select activities that are highly interesting to them. The Montessori classroom contains hundreds of colorful, exciting materials that are of interest to children.
- A child repeats activities until they are fully mastered. A Montessori class provides long, uninterrupted times in the morning and in the afternoon for the child to concentrate on activities.
- A child is orderly and focused. The calm, respectful, orderly atmosphere of a Montessori school classroom meets a child’s inner need for an atmosphere that supports concentration.
Our Chula Vista Preschool thoroughly follows the Montessori method of education. If you would like to learn more about our school and our enrichment classes which include Yoga and Spanish contact us online or simply call (619) 422-1220.